Sharing experiences about the delivery of veterinary medicine from someone who understands the profession firsthand can be valuable. As recent grads or longtime practitioners, a conversation with a peer is always a welcome opportunity to learn, share and grow. Reflecting on our day to day practices is proven in the literature to be key to our success and great animal outcomes.
The Peer Advisory Conversation provides a positive learning experience for veterinarians. Through conversation, veterinarians will find support in their efforts to deliver quality care and service. The conversation includes tips for managing risk areas; insight into practice standards and regulatory requirements; and gives suggestions for continuing professional development
It’s a conversation - not an interview or an investigation. It’s one veterinarian speaking to another veterinarian - one of whom happens to be a trained peer advisor. Both of them, and both of their practices, benefit from the conversation.
Participate as a Conversation Participant
You will participate in a one-time conversation (online, telephone or in person) which is led by a trained peer advisor. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire to share your feedback. This is an excellent opportunity for those who may have limited time but want to contribute to the program’s development.
What you contribute as a participant:
- approximately two-hour conversation online, by teleconference, or in-person with a trained peer advisor
- completion of a brief, online questionnaire evaluating the experience
How you benefit from participation:
- gain tips for managing risk areas
- insight into practice standards and regulatory requirements
- suggestions for continuing professional development
- participation is logged as CPD hours
- contribute to shaping and development of the College's Quality Practice program
After an interview process, the following veterinarians were approved by the Quality Assurance Committee to serve in the leadership role of Peer Advisor, and participated in a rigorous training process to prepare for the introduction of the Peer Advisory Conversation Pilot. Their leadership and commitment to quality practice in the profession is welcomed.
Dr. Leann Benedetti
Dr. Sarah Charron
Dr. Michael Corradini
Dr. Kathleen Day Dunbar
Dr. Maggie Himann
Dr. Shannon Howitt
Dr. Janice Huntingford
Dr. Anna Kato
Dr. David Kerr
Dr. Julia Kremer
Dr. Colette Larocque
Dr. Wendy Menary
Dr. Paul O'Neill
Dr. Shalini Ramsubeik
Dr. Chiara Switzer
Dr. Andrea Thomas
Dr. Karen Ward
Dr. Barbara Winslow
Dr. Maher Zaytoun
Goal and Objectives
The goal of the Peer Advisory Conversation is to provide a positive learning experience and support for veterinarians in providing safe, competent care that is consistent with current practice standards and is in the best interest of those they serve.
The objectives of the Peer Advisory Conversation are to:
- Support a veterinarian’s performance in relation to their scope of practice;
- Provide a positive educational experience for the veterinarian through a two-way conversation with a Peer Advisor;
- Be applicable to all areas of practice;
- Be feasible in cost and time;
- Be acceptable to the profession; and
- Provide useful feedback to the veterinarian.
The Peer Advisory Conversation, after its pilot phase, will form the core of the College’s Quality Assurance Program. Trained Peer Advisors will collaborate with licensed members to provide an opportunity to discuss a licensed members’ practice. The full process includes the following components:
- Pre-Conversation Questionnaire, to be completed by the conversation participant, and explores demographic and practice information.
- Medical Records Review of four medical records, to be provided by the conversation participant and reviewed by the Peer Advisor prior to the conversation.
- Peer Advisory Conversation, which will include:
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Discussion
- Chart-Stimulated Recall (CSR)/Case Based Discussion
- Non-Technical Skills Discussion
- Written follow-up Report to be shared with the Conversation Participant
- Post-Conversation Evaluation Form to be completed by the Peer Advisor and the Conversation Participant and to share this feedback with the College.
To assist veterinarians with preparing for a Peer Advisory Conversation, and as a resource to others, the Peer Advisory Conversation tools and forms are provided:
Pre-Conversation Forms and Resources:
Conversation Discussion Tools:
During the pilot phase, the conversation tools and forms will be evaluated and revised based on feedback from Peer Advisors and Conversation Participants. Revisions and enhancements are anticipated. All comments from participants and advisors are welcome.
Pilot Phases 1, 2 and 3 (now concluded)
The Peer Advisory Conversation Pilot is being conducted in four phases. During the first two phases, volunteers participated in a conversation with a Peer Advisor focused on one of the three areas: a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Discussion, a Medical Records Review and a Chart-Stimulated Recall (CSR)/Case Based Discussion, or a Non-Technical Skills Discussion. These focused conversations provided an opportunity to validate the conversation tools prior to launching the full conversation in Pilot Phase 3.
Pilot Phase 4
Registration for Pilot Phase 4 of the Peer Advisory Conversation is now open. Click here to complete the registration form.