close search panel

Applicants Licensed Elsewhere in Canada (Out-of-Province Applicants)

Veterinarians who are currently licensed or certified in another Canadian province or territory are eligible to apply for the equivalent licence in Ontario.

Labour mobility agreements between Canadian provinces/territories allow some applicants the ability to apply for Ontario licensure without additional training, examinations or assessments.

If you are already licensed to practice veterinary medicine in another province or territory:

  • The College will accept copies of your DVM degree and National Board Exam results directly from applicants; and
  • You must provide a letter of standing from your current jurisdiction and from any other jurisdiction where you held or currently hold licensure.

Please review the Licensure Process and Requirements page for your desired licence type and to apply for a licence.

Why can’t I transfer my licence to Ontario?

Each province or territory has its own veterinary regulatory body. These regulatory bodies are governed by their own legislation.

As part of its mandate to protect and serve the public interest, the College ensures only qualified veterinarians are licensed to practise in Ontario. To obtain a licence to practice veterinary medicine, applicants must meet the College’s requirements as per the application process. 

Please note that applicants do not have to give up their licence from another province or territory in order to obtain licensure in Ontario.

Jurisprudence Exam

The College's jurisprudence exam requires applicants to demonstrate knowledge of and the ability to apply relevant Ontario legislation and regulations, as well as College standards and guidelines.