The College has introduced the Peer Advisory Conversation, a core component of the College’s Quality Assurance Program. The conversation supports veterinarians in assessing their practice against professional standards and identifying opportunities for learning.
The Peer Advisory Conversation provides a positive learning experience for veterinarians. Through conversation with a trained Peer Advisor, veterinarians find support in their efforts to deliver quality care and service. The conversation includes tips for managing risk areas; insight into practice standards and regulatory requirements; and gives suggestions for continuing professional development.
The goal of the Peer Advisory Conversation is to provide a positive learning experience and support for veterinarians in providing safe, competent care that is consistent with current practice standards and is in the best interest of those they serve.
The objectives of the Peer Advisory Conversation are to:
- Support a veterinarian’s performance in relation to their scope of practice;
- Provide a positive educational experience for the veterinarian through a two-way conversation with a Peer Advisor;
- Be applicable to all areas of practice;
- Be feasible in cost and time;
- Be acceptable to the profession; and
- Provide useful feedback to the veterinarian.
The process includes the following components:
- Pre-conversation questionnaire explores demographic and practice information.
- Medical records review of four cases by the Peer Advisor prior to the conversation.
- Peer Advisory Conversation (approximately 2-3 hours), which includes:
- Continuing professional development (CPD) discussion
- Chart-stimulated recall (CSR)/case-based discussion
- Non-technical skills discussion
- Written follow-up report
- Post-conversation survey to share feedback with the College.
Pre-Conversation Forms and Resources:
Conversation Discussion Tools:
Benefits from your participation:
- gain tips for managing risk areas
- insight into practice standards and regulatory requirements
- suggestions for continuing professional development
- participation is logged as CPD hours
- contribute to shaping and development of the College's Quality Practice program
Peer Advisory Conversation Participation
The Peer Advisory Conversation is a voluntary quality assurance measure. Veterinarians interested in participating in the Peer Advisory Conversation are asked to contact the Quality Practice team at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain further information.